Kale, Chicken, and Yam Soup
This soup is batch cooking at it’s best. Quick and easy to develop killer flavors with the nutrient-packed ingredients. As the weather cools down, warm up with this unique recipe.
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded
- 1-32 oz box (4 cups) low sodium chicken stock
- 1-32 oz box (4 cups) low sodium veggie stock
- 4 strips turkey bacon, finely chopped
- 2 medium yams, peeled and diced
- 6 cups (packed) kale, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 5 garlic cloves (2 Tbsp), finely minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat or brown rice flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch/French oven, over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery and sauté 5 minutes. Add turkey bacon, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and sauté another 5 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil and the flour to the pot. Stir to coat the vegetables and let sauté for another minute.
- Add the stock to the pot and stir to combine with the veggies and the bits from the bottom of the pot. Bring heat to high until the stock comes to a low boil. Reduce heat and let simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir the chicken into the stock and veggies. Let simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, cover and let cook 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the kale to the pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.