Golden Beet & Chard Toss
Golden beets and chard are known to be some of the most nutrient powerful foods. Both provide anti-inflammatory and detoxification support, while chard is contains mighty doses of vitamins A, , and K. Plus, they look beautiful together on a plate and compliment the unique use of fennel in this recipe.
- Makes 4 servings
- 2 large sweet Italian chicken sausages (uncooked)
- 8 heaping cups fresh chopped chard (any type)
- 1 bulb fennel, core removed, grated
- 2 cups cooked, and diced golden beets*
- 2 cups cooked farro (barley or wild rice may be substituted)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
*For ease, golden beets can often be found pre-made in many grocery store salad bar stations. Alternatively, whole beets can be bought, steamed, and diced.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken sausages in the pan and cover. Cook for 3-4 minutes on all four sides. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- In a large bowl, toss together the chard, grated fennel, diced beets, farro and dried cranberries.
- Divide these ingredients into four bowls, or storage containers (for leftovers) and top each with one-half of the sliced chicken sausage.
- Dress with your favorite salad dressing, marinade or a simple drizzle of olive oil and vinegar.