Butternut Squash & Brussel Sprouts Salad
This fall salad is the perfect pairing to complete any meal. Robust flavors of roasted butternut squash and Brussels sprouts are rounded out with a crisp bite from fall apples, fennel and bright lemon dressing.
- 1 ½ pounds butternut squash, cubed (about ½ large squash)
- 1 ½ pounds Brussels sprouts
- 1 medium Honeycrisp, Braeburn or similar apple
- ½ fennel bulb
- 1 TBSP fresh thyme leaves
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 TBSP chopped toasted pecans
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare two sheet pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- On one sheet pan, toss the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ tablespoon thyme leaves, and half of the salt and pepper.
- Cut the ends off the Brussels sprouts, discard, and cut the sprouts into quarters. On the other sheet pan, toss the sprouts with 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ tablespoon thyme leaves, and the other half of the salt and pepper.
- Place both pans in the oven. Roast the butternut squash for 25-30 minutes, tossing once with a spatula, until the squash begins to soften. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Roast the Brussels sprouts for 30-35 minutes, until the leaves turn golden and they start to soften. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Remove the bulb from the center of the fennel, discard, and slice the fennel into thin pieces.
- Remove the core from the apple, discard, and chop the apple into small pieces.
- Toss the fennel and apple in the bowl with the lemon and olive oil. Gently toss in the butternut squash and Brussels sprouts.
- Sprinkle the pecans over the top and serve warm.