Asparagus, Broccolini, & Pesto Flatbread
Get your daily dose of greens on top of this scrumptious flatbread. So unique an easy to make you will want to show this recipe off all summer long.
- 1 package fresh whole-wheat (or favorite) pizza dough*
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 bunch broccolini
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup fresh prepared pesto (or see Asparagus-Spinach Pesto recipe)
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into thin slices
- ¼ cup coarse cornmeal
- *Pre-made pizza dough can be found in the fridge or freezer section of many grocery or specialty stores.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. If you have a pizza stone heat it in the oven for 30-45 minutes.
- Let the dough rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Line a baking sheet with foil and cornmeal. If using the pizza stone dust it with cornmeal. Spread the dough out thinly, in a large rectangle shape, on the baking sheet or pizza stone. Poke holes in the dough with a fork.
- Bake the pizza dough for 10 minutes. Remove the dough from the oven and turn over onto the baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Cut the ends off of the asparagus and broccolini. Cut the asparagus in half length-wise and then dice into large pieces. Dice the broccolini into large pieces.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add the asparagus and broccolini and sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Spread the pesto and ricotta cheese onto the pizza. Scatter the asparagus and broccolini evenly across the pizza. Top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Place the pizza back in the oven, at 400 degrees, and bake for about 20-25 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling and the crust is starting to crisp.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, slice and enjoy!