Apple Walnut Sticky Tart
The name says it all, this treat is moist and dense, each bite filled with juicy, tart apples, crunchy rich walnuts and a burst of spice. Greek yogurt and avocado are used to replace the typical unhealthy fats used in baking while adding protein and fiber to the tart. Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt, fresh apple slices and a sprinkle of walnuts for a satisfying breakfast, dessert or snack.
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat pastry or white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup almond meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 apples, finely diced
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- ½ large or 1 small avocado
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ pure maple syrup
- 2 TBSP canola oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a tart pan or pie dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, almond meal, baking powder/soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- Toss the apples and walnuts into the flour mixture until well coated. This prevents the apples and walnuts from sinking to the bottom of the tart.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to blend together the rest of the ingredients.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and pour the wet ingredients in. Using a spatula, gently fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture.
- Spread evenly into the tart pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the tart is golden, but will still be slightly “sticky” on the inside. Let cool 15 minutes before serving. Store in the fridge.